Schulhaus Red

Schulhaus red (1)

Schulhaus Red

Country USA
Region Finger Lakes
Producer Weis


Style Red
Grapes Cabernet Sauvignon, Chancellor
Practices Sustainable
Other Features Vegan

90% Chancellor and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, Schulhaus Red is the perfect every day, every occasion red wine. Bursting with dark cherry aromas, beautiful and expressive fruit with darker flavors like plums, it is full-bodied and presents a velvety smooth mouthfeel. Aged 10 months in French oak barrels. 12.5% alcohol.

2020 vintage notes: The story of the 2020 vintage is best understood within the context of the droughty dryness of May & June, and August through October. Variation in vineyard crop is partially due to the variance in rainfall and related smaller berry sizes, and partially to the frost episodes in May. Disease pressure was virtually absent providing growers with the luxury of time to manage harvest operations. Ripeness as measured by sugar accumulation (brix) was excellent. Temperatures and exceptional diurnal variation (warm days, cool nights) has favored the retention of acidity; freshness being a hallmark character of Finger Lakes wines. 2020 promises to be a very strong and complete vintage. A sense of ripeness, strength and balance.


Availability:In Stock & Ready to Ship

About the Producer

Hans Peter (Peter) Weis is the seventh generation in his family to make wine; however, he’s the first generation to make wine outside of the Mosel. Born and raised in Zell, Germany, Peter first came to the US for a winemaking job in Sonoma. A friend who was working at Dr. Konstantin Frank’s winery encouraged Peter to stop in the Finger Lakes on his way home...he never left. “The climate was nice and cold,” he says. For the next 10 years, Peter managed Dr. Frank’s German varietals from vineyard to glass, which helped him forge connections with terrific growers all over the Finger Lakes.

In 2016, Peter and his wife Ashlee, a Hammondsport native and fellow winemaker, received the opportunity to buy a property on the East side of Keuka Lake from retiring winemakers. They took a leap of faith and produced their first vintage that year. The tasting room was opened in May 2017 and in the Spring of 2020, they started their first estate vineyard, Day Road. Located by Keuka Lake just minutes from the winery, it is planted with Riesling, Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc and Saperavi, a teinturier-type grape variety native to the country of Georgia.

The Weis wines can be summed up in one word: precision. Every one of Peter’s wines has a pure and elegant focus, the result of a detailed, Germanic-style dialogue between a winemaker and excellent vineyard sites. In a very short period of time, Weis Vineyards has emerged as one of the most exciting wineries in the Finger Lakes.

Click here: Weis Vineyards

"German Lessons in the Finger Lakes", Naomi Thorner - October 2023