Chardonnay – Russian River Valley
The Chardonnay is farmed from estate vineyard in the heart of the Russian River Valley. Earth friendly farming practices (organic & biodynamic) and grapes hand-picked at optimum ripeness. The Chardonnay block on Soul Patch Vineyard sits at the very bottom of the eastern facing hillside. This is an extremely cool pocket of the vineyard, which allows the fruit longer hang time, resulting in bright, beautifully balanced acidity. The grapes are brought into the winery where they are hand sorted and whole cluster pressed (different from most other wineries that crush first), garnering more brilliance of flavor from the grapes. 70% of the grapes are placed into French Oak barrels to undergo full malolactic fermentation, helping to develop smooth round texture and add richness to the wine. The other 30% is placed into stainless steel barrels, thus preserving the fruit and acidity which highlights the purity of the vineyard. The wine is then aged in barrels for one full year. Just before bottling the oak & stainless steel barrels are blended. The 2017 Estate Chardonnay is a beautiful, crisp, clean, yet savory expression of the Russian River. A fun, flavor-rich chardonnay with aromas of exotic tropical fruit, lemon custard, and spice.
About the Producer
Guy Davis' wine roots run deep, reaching back to the age of nineteen when he worked in a French restaurant in Seattle while pursuing an economics degree at the University of Washington. Guy worked as an assistant to the chef. After the last customer left and the doors closed, Guy would retire to the kitchen to make dinner for the owner and chef before joining them for a night of food, wine, and conversation. Each night, they'd open bottles of great wine from France, always combined with great French food and a healthy dose of good conversation. Guy was an eager, open listener. And over glasses of wine, his enthusiasm grew. As he drank from the classic wine regions of France, from Bordeaux to Burgundy, the men schooled him on the origins and characteristics of each particular region.
Judy Davis has shared a passion for wine with husband Guy for nearly 30 years. Her wine journey began in the restaurant world while she put herself through college and developed into a full time venture when Guy and Judy founded the Passport Wine Club in 1992. Judy considers herself a lucky member of the team traveling through France with Guy during the Passport days, touring, tasting, and honing their acuity for finding little known wine gems from the regions of France and Argentina.
In 1997, Judy and Guy stepped across the great divide into farming and winemaking when they founded Davis Family Vineyards. Their two sons have absorbed a far-reaching understanding of wine through hands-on experience and followed them into the wine business. Cole is the cellar master and assistant winemaker at Davis Family Vineyards, and Cooper is attending Sonoma State University working toward his Wine Marketing degree. 3rd generation up-and-comer Luke, Cole's young son, has his eagle eye trained on the vineyard activities and regularly jumps in with full enthusiasm for the venture!
Guy and Judy planted and live on their vineyard and farm it organically. Judy assists with hospitality at the winery and represents Davis Family Vineyards at marketing and sales events across the U.S. She is Guy's "test palate" on frequent occasion, with home blind-tastings a regular occurrence as the wines are readied for bottling, and samples grapes at harvest as well. Judy also partners with Guy on olive oil production and the annual blending of their signature olive oil. In her other life, Judy is an RN, and has worked for 25 years in Labor and Delivery, and the last 4 years as the Charge Nurse in the Ob/Gyn Department at Kaiser Permanente.
Farming/vinification practices & sustainability: organic farming. Only indigenous yeasts are used. The wines are not fined. Davis uses Nomacorc Green Line corks, made from sustainable, renewable sugarcane-based raw materials.
Davis Family Vineyards