100% Zweigelt. At 2500 cases this is Beck’s largest single production. The biodynamically grown grapes are planted on rich soils on the plain, closer to Lake Neusiedl. The vineyards are in Halbturn, Apetlon and Gols. Judith and her team pick all of the fruit by hand and sort the grapes in the vineyard and at the winery before de-stemming. Fermentation occurs spontaneously, triggered only by the grapes’ native yeasts, in stainless steel tanks. Beck circulates the fermenting juice over the cap of grape skins twice per day for the first 10 days to attain a balanced level of extraction. The young wine is then racked off its skins and moved into 1000-2000 liter, neutral acacia wood casks for two months where it completes its malolactic fermentations. It is then transferred to 4-6 year old barriques for 8-10 months of aging. Beck matures her Zweigelt in two phases in wood in order to attain the round, complex and vivid style she seeks. The Zweigelt is assembled and bottled in July. Bright, dark cherry, black-currant and spicy aromas and flavors with a fresh, berry-fruit finish.
About the Producer
"I seriously believe in this low-intervention winemaking and I am going to continue like that. For me this is not about a trend, but a deeply help commitment."
The Judith Beck estate is based in the Burgenland commune of Gols, in the Neusiedlersee region, on the eastern – and warmest — side of the Lake Neusiedl. Gols is part of the larger Burgenland region in easternmost Austria, which enjoys a very warm climate defined by the Pannonian plain to the east and the Lake. Lake Neusiedl’s depth is only 1.5 meters and its water temperature can reach 90 degrees F. in the summer. Indeed, this is Austria’s warmest wine growing area, the first to harvest, and the production center of its finest full-bodied, dry red wines.
Judith’s parents, Matthias and Christine Beck, founded the family estate in 1976. Judith Beck made her first vintage in 2001 and in 2004 she assumed full control of the winery. After graduating from the Klosterneuburg Viniculture College Judith Beck gained international experience at world-renowned wineries, including Chateau Cos d’Estournel in Bordeaux, Braida in Piedmont and Errazuriz in Chile. Managing the family winery comes naturally to Judith who has an innate “sixth-sense” feel for the regional varieties Zweigelt, Blaufrankisch and St. Laurent.
Judith Beck owns a total of 13.5 hectares of vines in Gols, with holdings in the vineyard sites of Altenberg, Gabarinza, Salzberg and Schafleiten. 85% of the area is planted to red varieties – Blauer Zweigelt, Blaufrankisch, St. Laurent, Pinot Noir and Merlot, with the remaining 15% planted to white varieties – Welschriesling, Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay. In addition, grapes are brought in from another 5 hectares in the communes of Apetlon, Halbturn and Winden, and used in the production of the basic red wines. Vines are planted at high densities of up to 7,000 vines per hectare to limit yields and ensure ripe fruit at harvest time. Soils range from loam and clay on the lower vineyards to limestone, higher up on the ridges. All grapes are hand-harvested. The Becks built a new modern and functional winery and aging cellar in 2005. It allows Judith to manipulate her wines as little as possible in the vinification process, resulting in wines which show the pure and vivid expression of the varietal and the unique vintage character. Judith Beck’s wines are at once elegant, fruit forward and complex expressions of her vineyards.
Farming/vinification practices: Judith and her father Matthias practiced sustainable viticulture from the outset, and converted to biodynamic practice with the 2007 vintage. Judith uses only native yeasts in the fermentation process. The red wines are fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks, in new barriques or in open vats. The wines undergo malolactic fermentation in new barriques or in large oak barrels. Some of the red wines are also matured in large oak vats, some of which are quite old, and are already being used by the third generation of owners. Nothing is added during the winemaking process except a small amount of SO2 at bottling if deemed necessary to a maximum 30 g/L total sulfur. The wines are vegan.
The estate is a member of the Pannobile association, as well as of “11 Frauen und ihre Weine” (11 Women and their Wines). The philosophy of the domaine is aptly put by Judith: “Wine and the joy of living and pleasure all go hand in hand. We prefer wines which captivate all of our senses with each new bottle and each new sip.”
Judith talks about her PINK and INK wines: click here!